ABOUT OMERS PRIVATE MARKETS
Finance & Valuations is part of the overall Finance Team of OMERS Private Markets (OPM).
OPM (OMERS Infrastructure and OMERS Private Equity) invests globally in infrastructure and private equity assets on behalf of the OMERS pension plan. Investments are aimed at steady returns to help deliver strong and sustainable pensions to OMERS members. OPM has offices in Toronto, New York, London and Sydney. OMERS is one of Canada’s largest pension funds with net assets of C$77 billion and an AAA credit rating.
SCOPE OF POSITION
The Senior Analyst, Finance & Valuations, OPM will report to the Manager, Finance & Valuations, OPM and will be responsible for activities that support the valuation and analysis of the infrastructure and private equity investments of OMERS. Primary responsibilities include hands-on development of valuation models, asset or portfolio-level sensitivities and various other activities in support of the Finance Team, Deal Team or Risk Team, as required.
To support these responsibilities, the successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, experience in financial and tax reporting and analysis, a solid grounding in valuations and financial modeling and a willingness to learn new skills and systems.
- Responsible for the hands-on development of portfolio investment valuations or risk models on a quarterly and annual basis;
- By following established valuation processes, help complete the execution of internal valuation projects, including the development of valuation models and drafting of valuation memos;
- Participate in the quarterly forecasting / annual budgeting and strategic planning process, which includes regularly developing and maintaining financial models and forecasting investment and portfolio valuations and returns;
- Help perform asset or portfolio level sensitivities;
- Help maintain the OPM portfolio risk management model and OMERS risk management system;
- Identify value opportunities and risks in the portfolio;
- Liaise with the Deal Team and Risk Team to review past performance, strategy, outlook, regulatory and other relevant issues that could impact values of portfolio investments;
- Monitor market events and provide analysis on the impact these events may have on the valuation of an asset and update the valuation models accordingly;
- Liaise with external auditors and valuators to support valuation conclusions;
- Assist with other financial reporting valuation requirements such as impairment testing, purchase price allocations or other valuations disclosures;
- Assist in the implementation of strategic initiatives to promote the continuous improvement of valuation policies, procedures, and processes;
- Stays abreast of trends and developments in the valuations field, seek out opportunities both to increase knowledge and demonstrate subject matter expertise on valuation practices; and
- Provide ongoing assistance to the Deal Team, Risk Team or investment entities, as required.
- Assist with the review of Deal Team models and respond to Risk Team requests involving acquisitions & dispositions;
- Assist in the preparation of internal and external financial reports prepared by the Finance Team, as required;
- Attend or participate in Finance Team meetings, as appropriate;
- Attend or participate in Deal Team or Risk Team meetings, as appropriate; and
- Participate in special projects or duties, as required.
- 1-2 years of valuations experience;
- Chartered Accountant (CA) and accreditation or enrollment in professional designations (CFA or CBV preferred);
- Strong excel and modeling skills, including the ability to work with complex financial models;
- Highly motivated individual with a proven track record to deliver results and execute effectively on key initiatives in both the short-term and long-term;
- Effective organization, time management, and communication skills;
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and accurately (both written and verbal);
- Ability to perform under time pressure and respond to unexpected events or circumstances;
- Strong team player;
- Ability to work with management at all levels; and
- Knowledge in infrastructure or private equity is an asset.
To apply for this position, click here.