Finning is the world’s largest Caterpillar dealer delivering unrivalled service for over 80 years. The Company sells, rents and provides parts and service for equipment and engines to customers in various industries, including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry and a wide range of power systems applications.
With our broad product support infrastructure and unmatched service capabilities, we deliver solutions that enable customers to achieve the lowest equipment owning and operating costs while maximizing uptime.
Finning employs about 12,000 people world-wide and operates in three geographies, with the head office in Vancouver, Canada.
As we connect our customers, equipment and data to create new value and insights, we will need to look outside of our organization to bring the best technology to our customers by evaluating potential M&A, joint ventures, partnerships and investments. This is where you come in. As a Senior Business Development Analyst – M&A you will work closely in collaboration with teams from Finning International, the three global regions and Finning Digital, focused on building our M&A pipeline, particularly for new technology based products and services.
You will be driving the screening, diligence and supporting the execution of new investments, ongoing monitoring of existing investments, participating in various projects and staying abreast of industry trends.
You will also develop and support rigorous and independent insights into the ongoing performance of Finning’s investments, using these insights to drive action and partner with deal team leaders, investee company executives and Board members. We need your ability to bring a long-term value investing mindset with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
What you’ll do:
You will dive into the data and content to conduct company profiling, competitive/industry benchmarking, competitive intelligence and market analysis related to competitive and complementary merger, acquisition, divestiture and strategic partnering activities
- You will support the preliminary analysis of investment opportunities, review public information, meet with management teams and develop valuation frameworks
- Develop investment thesis and identify merits, risks and mitigating factors for potential investment opportunities
- Create an M&A database and pipeline of potential acquisition candidates, once an industry sector has been identified and approval has been obtained to pursue the industry
- Manage that pipeline through on-going acquisition opportunity vetting process and reporting
- Write effective screening, deal alert and investment memorandums, and assist in coordinating the internal review/approval process
- Coordinate and complete most due diligence sections with minimal guidance and advanced sections with guidance. Take a structured approach with appropriate level of analysis in various work-streams of due diligence
- Take a proactive role in reviewing and challenging financial projections and synthesize your insights, findings, key analysis and supporting documents in business cases
- You’ll need to work closely in collaboration with third party advisors as well as with Finning internal groups (e.g., legal/tax/risk) as well as being an integrated part of deal teams, supporting the diligence of commercial, financial, tax, legal, governance, human resource and ESG aspects of prospective investments
- This work will require you to keep up to date on industry trends, work on specific projects to enhance team capabilities all while adhering to compliance and risk management policies, and participate in business continuity planning
Who you are:
You’re an experienced Business Professional, who understands all the moving pieces and complexity required to making M&A happen, from early evaluations, analysis, business and financial modeling, to the working with the deal teams in the final steps.
You have a proven Analytical skills, Financial Acumen & Decision making experience, and the ability to build the relationships required to keep stakeholders aligned.
You think beyond current assumptions, challenging and seeing investment opportunities to expand and explore new strategic opportunities within the business as our new products and service disrupt an industry.
- You have Bachelors’ degree in Finance or related degree, MBA is highly preferred
- CFA (or working towards), CPA, CBV or Master’s degree in business/economics considered an asset
- Minimum 4-7 years of experience in private equity, investment banking, venture capital, management consulting, or corporate M&A
- You’ve worked in a software, tech or digital focused organization
- Strong financial modelling, analytical, valuation and research skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage projects under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Strong business acumen and judgment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a high performance culture
- Proficiency with business software and analytical tools such as Capital IQ
- Willingness and the ability to travel extensively
- Authorization to work in Canada
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Location: Finning International HQ, Vancouver, British Columbia