AIMCo is one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers, with approximately $90 billion of assets under management for 26 clients, a diverse group of Alberta public sector pension plans, endowment funds, and government accounts representing all Albertans. Our culture is defined by our core values: Integrity, Excellence, Transparency, Collaboration and Humility.
Our success as an organization is as dependent on the growth of our people as it is our investments. We provide opportunity to our employees, embrace talent with new ideas and are committed to a culture of continuous learning.
The Manager, Private Investment Valuations, will report to the Senior Manager, Private Investment Valuations, and will be responsible for activities that support the valuation and analysis for an assigned portion of private investments. The successful candidate will also be responsible, to some extent, for training, coaching and mentoring for junior staff on valuation best practices.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring day-to-day, quarterly, and year-end private investment valuation activities are completed accurately, efficiently, and in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Managing the execution of valuation projects:
- Carrying out pre-investment reviews of investment opportunities pursued by investment teams and ensure that proposed post-closing information and reporting will be sufficient to carry out valuation analysis in compliance with AIMCo policies.
- Collaborating with investment, asset management, and operations teams to maintain ongoing information flow and knowledge of significant portfolio developments affecting valuation.
- Assist in determining appropriate valuation approaches, prepare valuation models and recommendation memorandums for presentation to the Valuation Committee.
- Primary reviewer of assigned valuation models and recommendation memorandums prepared by more junior team members.
- Providing clear communication to Senior Manager/Director of progress and/or issues that arise during day-to-day activities and over the course of valuation projects.
- Managing the day-to-day interaction and information flows with external firms engaged to provide valuation reports, and act as the primary reviewer of externally prepared reports.
- Assisting in the design and implementation of AIMCo’s valuation policies, procedures and standards by identifying and communicating areas for improvement.
- Responding to queries and information requests from AIMCo’s external auditors with respect to private investment valuations.
- Assisting in providing training, development, and mentorship of more junior private investment valuation staff with respect to valuation standards, practices and internal control requirements to ensure the execution of effective and efficient valuation processes.
- Acting as a subject matter expert for private investment valuations as required, maintain current awareness of trends and developments in the valuations field in order to provide opinions when required on appropriate accounting treatment and valuation approach for new investments.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- University degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- A Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation is a requirement.
- A CBV or CFA designation is a strong asset (or working toward the designation).
- 5+ years of experience working with private investments which could include investing, valuation, and/or due diligence in respect of private investments.
- Sound understanding of valuation theory across diverse products or industries.
- Experience in coaching, training, and developing staff.
- Effective communication, time management, and presentation skills and experience in interacting with senior management and external advisors.
NOTE: Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and a criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.
For more information and to apply visit the careers section of AIMCo’s website at www.aimco.alberta.ca