Advisor, Valuation Governance
Duration: Permanent, Full time
Location : Montréal, Québec
PSP Investments is one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers, with $135.6 billion of assets under management as at March 31, 2017. We invest funds for the pension plans of the Public Service, the Canadian Armed Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force.
Our skilled and dedicated team of more than 750 professionals manages a diversified global portfolio including stocks, bonds and other fixed-income securities, and investments in Private Equity, Real Estate, Infrastructure, Natural Resources and Private Debt.
Our business offices are in Montreal, New York and London. Our head office is in Ottawa.
PSP Investments is an equal opportunity employer. It is the Company’s policy to recruit and select applicants for employment on the basis of their qualifications, with emphasis on selecting the best qualified person for the job. PSP Investments does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable law.
The team’s mandate is to hold organizational accountability over the private investments valuation process, playing a key role in the final valuation recommendation.
More specifically, the team reviews the valuations of all private investments (real estate, private equity, natural resources, private debt). The team is also responsible for maintaining “best practices” and good governance in private asset valuations.
The Advisor is in charge of reviewing valuations of private investments. He/she will participate in preparing the documentation that is needed to be submitted to the valuation committees. Overall, he/she will work with all private investment groups, the Investment Finance team and the Taxation group.
- Participate in the planning and execution of the quarterly valuation process.
- Review valuations prepared by external valuators or the investment team (review relevant documents, review the valuation methodology and its application, review and challenge financial projections and valuation assumptions and hold discussions with investment teams).
- Participate in the development and/or validation of financial models related to investments.
- Analyze the impact of different assumptions on the valuation.
- Prepare adequate documentation to support the review process and support the recommended fair values.
- Monitor market events and analyze the impact that these events may have on investment valuations.
- Participate in the coordination of the use of external valuators.
- Respond to questions or information requests from external auditors.
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly board reporting with respect to the year-end valuation process of private investments.
- Support the team leader in maintaining internal valuation procedures on valuation methodologies, process and controls.
- Perform any other duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce (i.e. B. Com) with a Finance and/or Accounting specialization
- Professional designation (CPA), an asset
- CBV or CFA designation, an asset
- Minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience
- Experience with valuation of private investments (either through performing valuation or due diligence for private investments or others)
- Experience interacting with senior management is an asset
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of sectors into which PSP has private investments (infrastructure, private equity, natural resources, private debts)
- Knowledge of real estate appraisals, an asset
- Ability to demonstrate sound business judgement
- Excellent financial and analytical skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage constantly changing priorities
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Mature, driven, motivated and ability to take initiative
- Responsible, diligent and able to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills and strong ability to prioritize
- Strong attention to detail and presentation of information
- Superior level of proficiency with business software and analytical tools
- Bilingualism an asset
Please note that this position is located in our Montreal offices.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5a329f0d2f500904ad6f1171/56b5014109e1cc0622ffc436/en